RE: Sudden Battery Death Syndrome

To: "'J&E'" <ebk@buffnet.net>, "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Sudden Battery Death Syndrome
From: "Taffel, Sherman" <STaffel@bcps.k12.md.us>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 10:38:32 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Hi Cosmo:

I'll check, but I think it is 2 yrs, maybe 30 months.
When I bought my '72 E-Type V-12 FHC in March of '97, the PO had
just bought a $19.95  Pep Boys battery. I thought he was being really cheap-

that battery has served as tester, as a swap for several cars and even the
24' boat
(260 Mercruiser I/0 (a 350 cu. in GM block, 260HP)- I couldn't believe it.
Its still good after three winters, this will be the 4th summer, and this
battery I didn't pull till March to charge up, and it started the car (the
5.3  326ci V-12) before the charge -unbelieveable!

The old Diehards were made by DUBOIS battery in western PA, these were
really heavy sturdy batteries. Then they went to Delco, and my understanding
is they are still made by delco but have 'improved' the quality with the
sealed gel units. However, my string of bad luck (new battery bad cells in
3-9 months) over a 2 year period- I was paying $18-$30 for exchanges with
the 5 year warranty- Cheaper to just buy a new battery for $24-$35
(depending on size/power/.
Someone told me they thought that INTERSTATE BATTERIES ARE THE DUBOIS,_ will
check that out too!