Re: Electronic tach

To: <ArthurK101@aol.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Electronic tach
From: "Paul J. Burr" <tigerpb@ids.net>
Date: Sun, 14 May 2000 21:19:32 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"

----- Original Message -----
From: <ArthurK101@aol.com>
To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Sent: Sunday, May 14, 2000 1:45 PM
Subject: Electronic tach

> Folks, I have a 6 cylinder tachometer out of a TRiumph Saloon.  It has
> stopped working.  The needle now goes all the way over to the high end and
> sits there when I turn on the ignition.  I think I grounded it when I was
> working in the dash on the speedo.  I have put the V8 tach back in the
Stag
> but want to get the V6 tach rebuilt/repaired (there is a Ford V6 engine in
> the car).
>
> Any ideas for me to repair it or a place which will do it for me?  Thanks.
>
> Art Kelly

Art: Here's a trick I learned in my Sunbeam days. It turns out the only
difference between the 4 cyl. Alpine tach and the V8 Tiger tach was the
printing in the face! There's a potentiometer (spelling?) in the case that
is adjusted to yield the correct rpm with the engine being used. I put the 4
cyl. guts in my busted V8 tach case and set the pot to match the readings on
my diagnosic tach/dwell meter. Worked perfectly. Perhaps you should take a
look inside the Stag tach and see if you have the same set up- Sunbeam used
Smiths gauges.