Head gasket gunk

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Head gasket gunk
From: Keith Ehrlich <kehrlich@bellatlantic.net>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 22:19:29 -0400
Hi-

Any good ideas of how to get the remains of old head gasket off the
block surface? I've started using a very dull putty knife but that
leaves some scratches. I tried the straight edge of a piece of
plexiglass but not strong enough to cur through the gasket remains (
though it worked well getting carbon buildup off the pistons without
scratching.. I tried the straight edge of a piece of glass, but that was
scratching the surface even more than the putty knife.

Are a few surface scratches OK and will they be filled up with
copper-seal or silver spray paint on the headgasket?

Is there some sort of compound or solvent that can loosen it up a bit as
I work it?

TIA

Keith
74 TR6