RE: engine swaps

To: "'David A. Templeton'" <davidt@opentext.com>
Subject: RE: engine swaps
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 10:54:46 -0700
Cc: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
David :

I must have misunderstood the earlier post.

One of our local club members has a TR8 motor in his TR3A.  It was a very
snug fit, requiring conversion to TR4 R&P steering (so the steering column
could have swivels to go around the engine), and substantial sheet metal
modifications under the hood.  Don't recall off-hand what tranny he used.

At one time, I was considering putting in a Chevy 3.1 60 degree V6, as it
would require almost no sheet metal mods (and weighs less than the original
4 banger).  However, it would still require the R&P steering, and I
couldn't figure a way to keep the stock turn signals, so I abandoned the
idea.

Then of course, there's another club member with a 5.0 Mustang motor in his
TR-4 (dubbed the TR-Ford) ...

Randall