RE: engine swaps

To: <thecrowes@hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: engine swaps
From: "Kurt" <koblinger@linkline.com>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 08:39:44 -0700
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Why not go whole hog and bolt in an S14 engine from an E30 M3 in the TR3! 197
HP stock, 240 streetable HP not out of the question. Keep the Getrag box and
then graft on the IRS. Better upgrade the brakes too. Can you say sleeper!

My favorite mutant car was built in the UK for a racing series they had there
in the '70s called Super Saloon. The rules said that the car had to "resemble"
a street car to some extent and the engine had to be in the same end of the car
it was meant to represent. That was basically it. So this guy builds a
fiberglass VW fastback body and drops it on a McLaren M8 Can-Am car. The
injection stacks for the aluminum big block stuck up through the rear window.
There was another car that looked like a Vauxhall Firenza droop snoot that was
all monocoque underneath and had a Cosworth DFV pretty much in the front seat
and the driver about in the back seat.

I'm not a big fan of engine swaps personally, I call it "Cobra disease". Its
not that I'm so much of a purist but more that most of these cars end up being
real hack jobs, poorly thought and executed. The few I've seen that are well
done are works of art!

I did always want to put a Mazda rotary in a Lotus Europa.

Cheers,

Kurt Oblinger

54 Swallow Doretti (crunched)
54 TR2 (waiting)
57 TR3 (in pieces)
62 Sports 6 (in work)
80 TR7 Spider FI (daily driver - really)
90 BMW M3 (needs clutch - don't anyone complain about TR parts prices!)