Re: 1974 TR-6 Clutch Locating Pins

To: rgk@flash.net
Subject: Re: 1974 TR-6 Clutch Locating Pins
From: "Donald H. Locker" <dhl@chelseamsl.com>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 23:12:13 -0400
Cc: trnut@cwnet.com, JSloan@talisman-energy.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
The dowels are important for correctly locating the clutch housing
(the sheet metal part that surrounds the pressure plate).  The screws
hold the housing to the flywheel, but are required to be tough to
handle the tensile stress.  The dowels are harder and are machined to
a closer tolerance than can be achieved on the screw/screw-hole
combination.  The housing should fit tightly onto the dowels so there
is no relative (rotational) motion between the flywheel and the
housing; the screws prevent any axial motion.  Two different items for
different purposes.

(Sorry for including the entirety of all previous posts; I couldn't see a good
place to trim anything.)
Donald.