1974 TR-6 Clutch Locating Pins

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: 1974 TR-6 Clutch Locating Pins
From: "Sloan, Jim" <JSloan@talisman-energy.com>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 10:19:13 -0600
When removing/re-installing  my pressure plate last week I noticed only 1
locating pin (or dowel) was present. The Bentley manual says there are 3,
and I did see the other 2 empty holes. Initially I thought they might be
placed at irregular intervals   to ensure the plate  goes on only one way,
but they seem symmetrically spaced. The only other thing that comes to mind
is that they are for strength but there are 6 bolts holding the plate to the
flywheel already. What are they for?

Also is it a good idea to lightly use wheel bearing grease on the contact
point  between the release bearing and the clutch fingers? I have a light
squeal when initially depressing the clutch. The release bearing is a new
Landcruiser upgrade so I don't think thats the problem.
Jim Sloan 74 TR-6.