RE: tr3b brakes - broken bleed nipple and old age

To: "'fogbro1'" <fogbro1@bellatlantic.net>, Bob Labuz <yellowtr@borg.com>
Subject: RE: tr3b brakes - broken bleed nipple and old age
From: "Westerdale, Bob" <bwesterdale@edax.com>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 09:40:42 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: Richard White <rlwhitetr3b@hotmail.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Ed Woods wrote-
Question: Doesn't anyone ever consider replacing 38 year old brake
cylinders with new ones? Why are we, and notice that I said "we", always
looking for the least expensive way out? Is it because we had no money
when we first owned these cars years ago and, thus, do so out of habit?
I myself have an entire bucket full of old rear brake cylinders. Why? I
can't imagine ever using them.

Absolutely!!
I think there was at least 3 different cylinder diameters used in
production, (.625, .700 and .750...) and now there is only 1 replacement
size cylinder available.  If you replace just one cylinder there is a weak
chance you have actually have a matched pair.  IF you want to be sure, pull
the undamaged cylinder apart and measure the diameter- But Wait! isn't that
just almost as much work as replacing it?  Sure is, so do the right thing
and replace both at the same time.  That way, the other 40 year old cylinder
won't be drooling fluif all over the driveway next spring.  BTW- just check
the prices for new front aprons when considering how much to spend on your
brakes!!  Put all the new parts together with Nevva-Sieze and you probably
will be set for another 40 years.
Bob Westerdale
59 3A  TS36967E