RE: TR3a/b brakes

To: "'Christopher Ball'" <cball@oct.on.ca>, "'TRs Roadster list'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3a/b brakes
From: "Westerdale, Bob" <bwesterdale@edax.com>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 16:35:58 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"

IF the bleed screw and brake line threads are OK, you might consider the
rebuild route.
TRF ( I think it was them..) can sell you the needed bits... ( NFI ) The
nastiest part of the
job is removing all the Eisenhower dirt-  best way I've found is a bead
blaster.  Most decent machine shops have a cabinet blaster, this will really
reduce the chances of binding pistons
and contamination.  Be sure to clean out all the passageways with compressed
air, as the abrasive can get stuck in the tiniest holes...
        If the bleed screw holes are borderline/stripped, and you prefer
keeping the originals, give a call to White Post Restorations in VA.  I
think they can install a repair bleeder...  Not cheaply, but they do nice
work. ( NFI again)
Bob Westerdale
59 3A TS36967E

So - besides debating about buying new brake calipers for a TR3a, (which are
largely unavailable), have any of you replaced them with a modern unit,
later Triumph or otherwise. Will the 4A calipers go on there as a bolt up
for example ? Mine are so pitted that I'll need a full rebuild and sleeving,
and so I'm thinking about just, gulp, buying new stuff.

I'll check my email for replies when I get back from confessional.

Thanks folks.