Starting Woes

To: John Summers <trumpet@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Starting Woes
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 09:15:56 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Message text written by John Summers
>Folks, as I just wrote the 6 pack list:  I have changed the points,
plugs, distributor cap, rotor, wires, ignition switch & a couple of
vacume hoses and when I turn the key to start, the warning lights come
on but nothing else.  No start-ee!  The starter is new enough that I
don't think that is the problem & the battery is charged.
        I just ordered a starter relay from Moss and beyond that I am
completly
stumped.
Any ideas?  Whadda ya think?
John Summers
<

John,

As I am sure that the 6 Pack list will respond in the same manner I will
say that the 74 model year had a starter interlock (as did all 74 cars sold
in the US market) that disabled the starter unless the seat belts are
fastened.  To fix this look under the seats and you will find a pair of
wires coming from a senspr switch in each seat.  Unplug these connectors
are see what happens.

The brute force resolution is to find the starter interlock module (in the
passenger foot well) and remove the white/orange and the white/red wires
and tie them together.  This is the wiring change implemented for 1975.

Please note that Ralph and Joan (and their minions) instigated this "safety
feature" but the hue and cry from the public was such that the statute was
recinded the very next year.

Good luck

Dave