D type overdrive

To: "'spitfires@autox.team.net'" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: D type overdrive
From: Chris De Wet <DeWetC1@sapo.co.za>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 16:19:12 +0200charset="ISO-8859-1"
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Friends

I'm contemplating fitting a D type overdrive to my non o/d 1964 RHD Spitfire
4 ( aka Mk 1 ) .

The shipping costs on the whole gearbox / tranny and o/d are extremely
expensive , but according to Brad K. : " ... if you're lucky you might find
one that someone is willing to pull the OD off the tranny and then pull the
mainshaft out of the tranny.  That would cut down a fair amount on the
shipping costs and the size ... "

I have a few complete non o/d Mk 1 gearboxes ( trannys ) . FC serial numbers
I might also have one or two non o/d Mk 3 gearboxes . FD serial numbers .

If I understand it correctly I will need the following :

1) D type o/d unit ( complete with solenoid , inhibitor switch and angle
drive ) pulled from Mk 1 , 2 or 3 o/d gearbox .

2) Complete mainshaft pulled from Mk 1 , 2 or 3 o/d gearbox .

3) Overdrive relay unit .
4) Overdrive scroll / script badge for boot / trunk .
5) Overdrive wiring .
6) Overdrive switch ( steering column stalk and special cowling )
7) longer speedo cable
8) mounting plate that bolts to the frame
9) rubber mount for the rear of the gear box.

I could use the same diff / rear end and shorten my existing prop-shaft .

Anyone willing to sell me some or all that I need at a fair and reasonable
cost , please  :-)

Best wishes
Chris de Wet
PO Box 472 , Ifafi , 0260 , South Africa
One '56 TR 3 with o/d , two Heralds and four early Spitfires without o/d .
'65 TR 4 A IRS ( hopefully soon )
'28 Model A Ford Roadster ( hopefully soon )

The information contained in this e-mail including any attachments is
privileged and/or confidential.  If you are not the intended recipient
please reply immediately and delete this message.  Please do not make use of
it, nor disclose it's contents in any way.  Thank you.