Re: LBC Week Good/Bad News (long)

To: William Hook <wghook@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: LBC Week Good/Bad News (long)
From: George Richardson <gprtech@frontiernet.net>
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 14:52:31 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
A TR3 doesn't use a ballast resistor. Does the ignitor need one? Did you
change to a ballast type coil when you did this?

If you bypassed the resistor and got no luck from changing the coil or
replacing the ignitor, I would check for an open connection between the
negative side of the coil and the battery. That could include the wire
from the distributor to the coil, the ground wire inside the
distributor, or the ground connection between the engine and chassis
(unlikely if the starter works). Try connecting a small 12Volt bulb
across the coil in the fashion used for static timing. If you turn over
the engine, this bulb should flash on and off. If it does, you've got a
bad coil or maybe condenser. If it doesn't then you're going to have to
track down what's missing. Try just grounding the negative side of the
coil directly to the battery with the bulb connected. That should light
if you've got power. Then you can use the bulb to track down the break
in the negative side. Connect the negative side at each point between
the coil and the battery itself: engine, distributor body, points
connection. When it fails to light, you've found the break.

Good luck.

--
George Richardson
Wyvern - '57 Triumph TR3, TS15559LT -