Re: LBC Week Good/Bad News (long)

Subject: Re: LBC Week Good/Bad News (long)
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 12:19:04 -0700
Cc: William Hook <wghook@earthlink.net>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Bill :

George's instructions are correct, except he is assuming your car has
been converted to negative ground and the coil is correctly oriented.

If the test light connected across the coil terminals stays off when you
crank the engine, try connecting the coil's points terminal (which may
be either + or -, trace the wires to be sure) to the ground side of the
battery (which may also be either + or -, not necessarily the same as
the coil marking <g>).  If the light still doesn't come on, then either
the light is bad, the coil is shorted, or the coil doesn't have power.
If the light does come on, then there is an open somewhere between the
coil's points terminal and the points, or the points aren't closing, or
the points aren't grounded.

If the test light stays on when you crank the engine (without the jumper
to the battery mentioned above), then you've got a short to ground
somewhere between the coil and the moveable points contact, or the
points aren't opening.

One common problem when you install points in a hurry is to not get the
insulators oriented correctly around the spring.  The spring has to not
touch the post, but does have to touch the wire (which also has to not
touch the post).  Thus, the correct order on the post is : insulator
(small part up), spring (over small part of lower insulator), wire
terminal, insulator (small part down through wire terminal and spring),
washer(optional), nut.

Randall
59 TR3A