LBC Week Good/Bad News (long)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: LBC Week Good/Bad News (long)
From: William Hook <wghook@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 11:23:58 -0700
Well Folks, I need some help..
The good news was that last week I finally got the TR3 tuned and running
the best I ever have and drove it
all week.    Love that new OD and rebuilt carbs!!!!
Sat AM we joined other TRs and LBCs in a drive from Seattle to the
Columbia River gorge.  First 40
miles or so were pouring rain but then cleared up and was beautiful for
the next 100 miles.....until...
Bad News.. the engine just died.. we were going approx. 50/60mph 2500rpm
with the OD.  There was no
sputtering or loss of power except the OD just poped out of gear (elect
disengage?) and the rpms went to
3000 with no power and died.
The engine would crank over fine but not catch and start.
1.   We checked the fuel line and filters..OK but thought it could be a
pump mal function.    I have a elect
pump that I keep on line as a backup so I bi passed the mechanical.
Both pumps seemed to produce plenty
of fuel to the carbs.  Fuel system OK...
2.    Started checking Ignition.  I had installed the Petrox Ignitor
with a resistor (very hot piece of
porcelan!)  Couldn't get a spark at the plugs or the coil.  We took out
the Ignitor and put in a new set of
points and condensor (didn't really try to set them other than see that
they opened and closed) and by
passed the resistor.  Same result.. engine turned over  just fine
wouldn't start...still no sparks.
3.     Checked the coil... Power to the (+) side of the coil.. but
nothing coming out of the top center.
Pulled out my old coil (trunk ballast) but the nuts were diff size so
couldn't give it a good test.
4.    Having exhausted the combined TR knowledge of 6 drivers and time
to let others get on down the
road we towed the 3 to a state park with a TR6 (that was scary...
tailgating at 40 mph).
5.     Thought maybe the ignition switch?  so I cliped a wire directly
from the battery to the (+) side of the
coil and turned it over ....still the same.
6.     I located a coil at a NAPA  and got the AAA truck to swing by
after we got the car loaded ($15 phone
quote turned into $40 at the store ;-).oh well.).   Coil didn't make any
dif. and the AAA driver was as
stumped as I was..... so .... 150 miles later I'm back in the garage
scratching my head...

I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions you folks may have.  As
always, thanks in advance,
Bill Hook,  57 TR3   sulking in the garage again