Re: Tappet Racket

Subject: Re: Tappet Racket
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 22:51:00 -0700
Cc: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Mike :

Rockers can be replaced without pulling the head, lifters cannot.  Some
noise is normal, I'd say with a hot engine and stock exhaust it should
be just barely audible from the driver's seat at idle.  Driving only
2-300 miles per month, I'd say you could leave the rockers alone
forever, or at least until you get some more definite symptoms.  Using a
'Clik-adjust' or similar will also help, or you could try cutting down a
feeler gauge until it is the same width as the valve stem.  Either
method will let you set the lash correctly, without getting a false
reading caused by rocker tip wear.

I've heard that getting rockers rebushed and refaced is a relatively
inexpensive operation, but I haven't tried it yet.

I wouldn't bother with the lifters, unless the pushrods don't rotate.
If that happens, prompt lifter replacement may save the camshaft, but
usually not.  (IMO the problem usually starts with a worn camshaft, the
lack of rotation and subsequent lifter wear is a symptom.)

Randall