TR6 alternator problems

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 alternator problems
From: Bandre Frank Contractor AMC/XPRT <Frank.Bandre@scott.af.mil>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 14:55:51 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
The alternator on my 76 TR6 seems to be failing.  While driving, the
voltmeter will vary from around 13.3v to 11.5v.  The ALT warning light comes
on when starting (bulb and circuit good), but not when the volt meter begins
its swings. The leads at the alternator have been cleaned, but no change.

I have a replacement alternator I got from TRF that is not wired the same as
the Lucas alternator in the car.  The Lucas has a plastic cap with two wires
(large brown and smaller of an undetermined color).  It also has a small
wire connected to a spade connector located about 180 degrees from the
plastic connector.  On the replacement, only the plastic connector is on the
alternator, not the single spade connector.  What is the single wire for and
will it matter if it is not connected?

Frank Bandre
'76 TR6