Re: Welding Sills, Floors, etc.

To: john donohoe <gt6driver@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Welding Sills, Floors, etc.
From: George Richardson <gprtech@frontiernet.net>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 18:07:18 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
To do decent sheet metal welding, you need a wire feed MIG welder with
flux gas attachment. The cheaper wire feed welders us flux core wire,
which leaves crud all through the weld. The weld is strong enough, but
looks terrible. A bottom line Lincoln 100 wire feed welder with shield
gas kit will set you back $300-$400, not including the gas bottle, which
is about $100 more (local prices)

Gas welders can be used for sheet metal, but you've got to be really
good at it. I don't think it's the kind of thing someone who welds once
in a while can do.

Arc welders (rod type electric welder) is not for sheet metal at all.

--
George Richardson
Wyvern - '57 Triumph TR3, TS15559LT -