Re: Race Car Pics

To: "J&E" <ebk@buffnet.net>
Subject: Re: Race Car Pics
From: "Michael Singleton" <one_ton3@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2000 09:23:13 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>

----- Original Message -----
From: "J&E" <ebk@buffnet.net>
To: "Michael Singleton" <one_ton3@hotmail.com>
Sent: Sunday, July 02, 2000 4:57 AM

> Michael Singleton wrote:
> >
> > Actually, I am looking for pictures, documents, etc on the specific TR4
race
> > car raced by Bill Martin in the mid 60's. At the moment I don't have any
> > interest in purchasing any actual car, unless that particular car was
> > available.
> >
> > Thanks for thinking of me.
> >
> > Mike
> ----------------------
> Hi Mike!
> No I don't want to sell my car. What I want to  know if may my car is
> that car that You are looking for race pictures?
> Please tell me:
> 1-What Color was it?
> 2-Was it a TR4 or  a TR4/A?
> 3-Do You happen to know the Year of the car?
>
> Mine is a TR4/A IRS, "Royal Blue [#56], 4.1 read end with OD, & looks
> like it might have been rolled or in a savear accident. I'm trying to
> get some history on this car that came from Califoria. If this is the
> same car, then I have loads of restoration pictures.  -Cosmo Kramer

The car was a TR4, originally the light TR blue, (a sky blue, or, whatever
they called it.) Later, when Don Rettig purchased it, it was repainted a
lime metallic green. It originally had a Red, White, & Blue racing stripe
centered over the steering wheel (Don repainted the stripe in the same
location, only in Greens and White).  It had all of the race options of the
day, including 1-3/4" SU carbs, Alfin rear drum brakes, sway bar, the roll
bar was a quasi-full width one place bar that mounted at the door posts on
each side, but only had a hoop over the drivers side. It was fitted with
overdrive, highly modified, The motor was, I was told by Steve Froines, who
co-drove in the SF Regional enduros, the most powerful TR he had driven.
Steve drove the No. Cal champion TR4, as well as for the factory at Sebring,
so he has some authority in the matter.  There was lots more, including
brake ducts where the bumper brackets normally went, etc. It had a quick
fill gas cap. It retained the original dash. In all probability several of
these items were modified as it was raced, as the rules changed over the
years. I went on to other things, including to San Diego, and lost track of
it over the years.

Mike