RE: Value of O/D transmission

To: "dmericas@limno.com" <dmericas@limno.com>, Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Subject: RE: Value of O/D transmission
From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2000 19:09:45 -0400
>What's the consensus on the value of a box w/O/D, figuring I'll probably
>need to go through it and replace whatever bits normally wear out on these
>things?

Well, that is hard to say.  I have an a-type OD and it is nice. but
not enormously wonderful.  I'd place a value on it at $500, but
I am in the minority.  It COULD go on ebay for upwards of $1500
if guaranteed good condition.  So lets say $1000 for a good working,
but otherwise "used" condition.

I have just rebuilt my rather extremely worn OD and transmission.  The
rebuild came to a cost of $500 for the parts.  Possibly a little extra for
some cleaner, etc.

In the OD itself there is little to wear out.  Just 2 main bearings and a big
(about $25 each)
bearing on the clutch annulus carrier ($60, and I did not replace this one).
Then there are the
thrust washers on each side of the sun gear which cost $15 each , then there is
the shim washer
under the front thrust washer at about $15 (if you can find the thickness you
need), but if you are very
lucky you will not have to replace it to set the proper sun gear endfloat (btw,
a MAJOR pain in the neck
to measure@@#$%).  Gasket set for $20, O-rings for
a few cents extra.  Pretty much everything else is NOT user serviceable, and is
usually not an issue unless
the OD was very very poorly maintained.

A-type mainshafts for the transmission are very scarce, and expensive.  Hope
that the one in the transmission
is fine.  Again, it usually is fine unless abused heavily.

Assume the transmission needs a rebuild, and that is the rest of the $500 cost.

If it is in decent shape, then many people would spring for $500 for the OD
transmission and $500 for a
thorough rebuild.  If you have to pay to have it professionally re-done, then
adjust the math accordingly
until the total is $1000.  If the tranny is heavily abused, then the OD could
be toast and the transmission is worth
less than zero.

-Tony