windshield brackets/sidescreen misfit

To: Triumphs List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: windshield brackets/sidescreen misfit
From: "Westerdale, Bob" <bwesterdale@edax.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 11:33:43 -0400 charset="iso-8859-1"

Sidescreen enthusiasts:
        Periodically I revisit the rather poor fit shown by my 10 yr old TRF
sidescreens.  No matter what I do, there is always a VERY tight sidescreen
fit at the top of the windshield and about a .75" gap at the lower edge of
the windshield/sidescreen interface.  I have repositioned the sidescreen
mounting plates, but I can't seem to get the windshield 'rake' angle to even
come close to the angle of the forward edge of the sidescreens.  The
airblast/waterspray that comes through the resulting gap can be refreshing,
but my passengers rarely see this as an attribute and find no humor in the
raincoats and goggles I offer.
        The only idea I have yet to consider is whether the windshield
stanchions (sp?) have been bent back, screwing up the windshield/sidescreen
interface.  When I got the car, many years ago, the old dried up top was
shrunken to the point where some of the 'lift the dots ' had pulled out, and
the Tenax's on the top at the windshield frame were under a great deal of
stress.  Has anyone ever had the top shrink to the point where it bends the
windshield back??   During the car's initial resto,  I had these parts
replated, so any bending 'witness marks' like stressed or peeled plating is
now long gone. Is there a known angle for the windshield rake?  An easy way
to measure? Has anyone concluded the sidescreens are the wrong shape?
Should I just buy better raincoats?
Thanks!!
Bob Westerdale
59 3A  TS36967E