TR6,Dry bearing noise,help.

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6,Dry bearing noise,help.
From: "Cameron Greig" <tr6greig@globalnet.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 09:29:12 +0100
Hi All

Problem this morning.Jumped in the car as usual,fired and started first
time,however immediately produced a loud dry bearing noise from under the
bonnet.My first
thought as I sat in the car was the clutch,transmission,however disengaging,
engaging had no effect.I opened the bonnet and realised the noise was from
the top end of the engine and  speeds up with an increase in revs.I opened
the valve cover cap but the noise didn't appear to be from the rocker shaft.
I also tried using a long screwdriver held to my ear to try and pin down the
noise but without success.I don't thing it's the alternator,but I'm
wondering if it could be the water pump.There is no play at the pulley,could
this still be the problem?There was no extra sounds when I used the
screwdriver test however.
I only had a few mins this morning,will fully investigate tonight.If this
sound familiar to anyone all comments would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Cameron
71 TR6