GT6 exhaust, one lister's ideas

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: GT6 exhaust, one lister's ideas
From: Douglas Frank <frank@zk3.dec.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 09:20:03 -0400
> Feel free to copy the list for archive proposes if this info
> suits your needs.

Thanks Dave, I will!  The archives are a valuable resource, and
are about to get more so!  Here goes....

I have a NOS 3:2:1 system on my 69 [GT6] which resembles the
"factory" headers offered by Moss... and looks identical to "RG
1279" picture.

My system, custom built at a Minute Muffler location, involves a
straight pipe 2.25" in dia (see comp prep  book),  ends just
before the rear valence, where it forms a "T".   From there, on
each side there is a Dynomax "bottle resonator"  about 4" x 16" ,
a 90 deg. turn and out through chrome tips.

With both pipes open, the noise is deafening at certain engine
RPM's... like up to about 2800 RPM.  By plugging one side with a
rubber sewer backup plug (imagine the comments THAT gets!) the
resonance disappears and the car is quiet enough to listen to a
"pioneer 20w x 4" cassette deck powering a pair of MB Quart 5.25"
2 ways located in the dogleg behind the seat.

The Header is a great piece, although mine sits below the frame
rails by about 1".  Lowering springs and low profile tires =
dented pipes and/or a broken header.  Back to stock now, I have
not since scraped it on anything.

The custom exhaust cost me about $250 Cdn including about $40 ea
for the resonators,  $25 each for chrome tips.  Labor was about
2.5 hours, but included "design time".

Done again,  I'd definitely go with the header but I would also
want the centre pipe resonator (bulging pipe shown in pictures)
piece installed.  From there, personal taste dictates the
finish.  Going with a 2" pipe may improve low end torque a bit,
but I find my "stock parts car engine" with 160 psi compression
as fast as any TR6 in city driving, and much faster in highway
passing (aerodymanics + light weight + ....)

sent to & shared by:
--
Douglas Frank Compaq Computer Corp.  Larceny, n.  A sturdy fiber
ZKO           110 Spit Brook Rd.      of which the human heart is