RE: Oil cooler

To: "'Jay Snavely'" <jays@paonline.com>, Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Oil cooler
From: "Westerdale, Bob" <bwesterdale@edax.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 09:49:43 -0400 charset="iso-8859-1"
Jay-
        What weight oil are you running?   How long since the last change?
These could be factors as well....
Bob Westerdale
59 3A TS36967E

I have a stock 74 TR6 with 87000 miles and I do not believe the engine has
been rebuilt.  I cleaned out the radiator and redid the cooling system.  The
other week I drove the car all day in 90-95 F weather at a 40-50 MPH pace,
2000 to 3000 rpm.  The oil pressure was <25 at idle and rarely hit 50 psi.
I thought it was time for a rebuild and new oil pump.  Later I drove it at
the same speeds but in 80-85 F weather.  The oil pressure at idle was 25 and
was >50 at 3000 rpm. The car ran at normal water temps on both days.   I
guess the difference in air temp caused this variation in oilt
temp/pressure.  Now I am thinking maybe I should put in an oil cooler and
put off the rebuild a few years/thousand miles.  Any comments?

Jay
74TR6