Round the world

To: "Triumphs List (E-mail)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Round the world
From: Dean_Mericas <dmericas@limno.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 10:26:50 -0400 charset="iso-8859-1"
A group of car guys from Ann Arbor drove up to Bay City to see the Round the
World race as it passed through there last Sunday.  It was the furthest I've
driven the TR4 in years, but I figure of these guys can drive around the
world, I can certainly manage a couple of hundred miles in a day.

As Jim Wallace said, it was gearhead heaven.  I was impressed with both the
variety of cars (30s Lagonda and Bentley, 3 Aston Martins, a Mad Max
outfitted mustang, a couple of post-war American cars, a Citroen 2CV, etc.),
the amount of abuse that the cars are getting (several had been rolled and
patched up), and the relative nonchalance of the driving teams.  A
remarkable number of teams appeared to be semi-elderly British couples.  I
had the good fortune to have dinner sitting next to one of the Aston DB2/4
drivers and hear his take on traveling through Turkey, China, and the Yukon.

I took a bunch of pictures, and will try to make available any that turn out
good enough to not be embarrassing.

FYI, I was told the entrance fee was only 40K pounds, which did not include
air transportation, or food and lodging outside of China.

Dean Mericas
1965 TR4 (CT 37089 L)