RE: TR4 rebuild - various

To: "John Howard" <trjhhow7@home.com>
Subject: RE: TR4 rebuild - various
From: "Brian Sanborn" <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2000 08:16:13 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
John,

You have gotten good answers already.  The answers on the OD
cable routing were good for my to use this winter. I will add my
.02 cents where appropriate.

>2. Encouraged by the TRF catalogue, I bought the plastic fan
intended
>for the 250, believing their promise that it would fit. Seemed
good
>idea to replace the bulky steel fan with all the little balance
weights
>with a nice light, plastic one. Lo and behold, the pretty yellow
thing
>juts out too far, not allowing the radiator to reach its
mountings. Have
>I done something wrong? Was TRF off base? If I have to return to
the
>metal fan, how the heck do I balance it...especially since the
one I
>have came from a lister (thank you!) while the balance weights
came off
>my badly damaged one.

I bought one of the yellow fans and had the same problems of the
fan being too far out to fit if the radiator was in it's normal
position.  And with the air duct in place you can't move the
radiator much anyway.  I solved the problem of the old unbalanced
4 blade fan with a six blade TR fan that I balanced on a tool
similar to a bicycle wheel balancer. The six blade fans were used
in hot climates and there are not many around.

A month or so ago I found out, from Michael Ferguson I think,
that I needed to swap out the TR4 hub extension that the fan
attaches to a TR3 extension which is shorter.  This makes sense
because I have seen 2 TR4s here in the NE with the yellow fans.

Brian Sanborn
62 TR4  CT16260L - Groton, MA

My TR4 Restoration Web Site
http://www.net1plus.com/users/sanborn/Home.html