TR4 rebuild - various

To: triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR4 rebuild - various
From: John Howard <trjhhow7@home.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 11:09:28 -0400
Listers:

I've been working on a engine compartment rebuild since acquiring this
64 TR4 last Fall. Engine, ZS carbs, fuel pump, starter, generator
rebuilt and installed, together with "new" OD, so all is going as well
as can be expected for your basic duffer. A few puzzlements, however, on
which I seek your input.

1. How does the oil pressure gauge work? The tube runs from the filter
fixture to the gauge, but there seems no way for oil to enter the tube
from the sump. Do I prime the tube separately? What gives?

2. Encouraged by the TRF catalogue, I bought the plastic fan intended
for the 250, believing their promise that it would fit. Seemed  good
idea to replace the bulky steel fan with all the little balance weights
with a nice light, plastic one. Lo and behold, the pretty yellow thing
juts out too far, not allowing the radiator to reach its mountings. Have
I done something wrong? Was TRF off base? If I have to return to the
metal fan, how the heck do I balance it...especially since the one I
have came from a lister (thank you!) while the balance weights came off
my badly damaged one.

3. I gather from recent postings that the 96 inch speedo cable available
from Moss will allow me to avoid buying the angle drive and reach around
to the takeoff on the OD unit.

Thanks in advance,  John Howard