RE: TR4 rebuild - various

To: "John Howard" <trjhhow7@home.com>, "triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR4 rebuild - various
From: "David Moag" <moag@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 08:57:01 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"
John,

The key to getting that oil pressure gauge feed line to work is having the
correct size copper washers in there. The smaller washer goes to the inside
of the feed pipe (and leaves room for the oil to flow past it) and the
larger washer on the outside of the feed pipe to stop any leaking (yeah,
right). When I first rebuilt my engine I could not get any reading on my oil
gauge. It seems that the air in the tube basically formed a blockage. I
ended up removing the gauge from the feed pipe, turning on the engine, and
sort of "pumping" on the end of the feed line with my thumb until oil
started to come out. Reconnected it to the gauge and everything worked fine.

As for the recent list advice about not needing the angle drive when using
the long speedo cable -- that was in response to my question -- and it was
for a TR3B. The routing for a TR4 may be different, so that advice might not
apply in your case.

Dave Moag
62 TR3B
77 Spitfire