Old gas residue in tank

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Old gas residue in tank
From: Angelo Graham <a3graham@admmail.uwaterloo.ca>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 09:37:46 -0400
Hello Listers:
Any suggestions on how to deal with the residue of 30 year old gas in my
TR2 tank? Have been trying to dissolve this residue with fresh gas, only
partially successfull. The local gas tank shops I have contacted don't
really want to deal with this.  They suggest continuing the dissolving
process, then bring the tank in for final cleaning and pressure washing.
Anyone have any experience in dealing with this? Someone suggested stronger
solvents such as acetone or toluene (with the proper safety precautions) to
deal with this residue.
When I scrape this stuff away, the tank seems good underneath.  Not too
sure about the lower trough on the tank; doesn't seem spongy or too
weakened. Rest of the tank is great.
Any suggestions or past experiences?

Many thanks,
Angelo Graham