RE: (more) brake and clutch rebuilding questions

To: Spitfire List <spitfires@autox.team.net>, Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: (more) brake and clutch rebuilding questions
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 15:52:16 -0700
Reg :

If you are going to flush with alcohol followed by air, be sure you get
Methanol (or Methyl Alcohol), not denatured, ethyl, isopropyl, ethanol,
etc.  Methanol is fairly poisonous, don't get it on your skin.  Also, be
sure your air is filtered, clean and dry.  Normal shop air has way too much
oil, water, etc. to be risking in your brake system.  And, you want to be
_very_ sure that all the alcohol is out of the system.  Alcohol boils even
lower than water, and will absorb moisture (leading to corrosion), so you
sure don't want any in your brakes.

Given the potential dangers, and dubious benefits, I wouldn't suggest
flushing with alcohol at all.  Disassemble and clean all the cylinders,
then flush the lines with brake fluif.

Randall