Re: (more) brake and clutch rebuilding questions

To: regtulk@isd.net, spitfires@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: (more) brake and clutch rebuilding questions
From: BPAULTR3@aol.com
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 19:26:50 EDT
In a message dated 7/12/100 5:34:28 PM EST, regtulk@isd.net writes:

<< Should I just have a beer and relax? >>

Yeah, that's always best.  Just imagine washing out the inside of the little
brake lines to get out all the crud and stuff , if there is any in there.  If
you don't see anything real obvious with the naked eye, it's not there for
our purposes.  If you just rebuilt the MC I sure wouldn't pour any alcohol in
it.  Leave the wheel cylinders and master cylinder disconnected, tape a
baggie or small container at each wheel cylinder line end or sometimes I've
used a small piece of clean light colored cloth placed so the stuff running
out hits it so it will mark with the crud. Make sure your line ends are very
clean to start.   Flood the lines with alcohol, I like to use a big syringe
either bulb type or hypodermic, to fill the lines and to 'pump' it through a
bit. Depending on how your lines end you might be able to get a short rubber
tube to connect the line to the syringe. Alternatively, go completely modern
with one of the pressurized spray cans of brake cleaner from Pep Boys.  Check
out each container for crud.  Flush the dirty lines till clear.  You can use
a compressor to force the stuff through also.  If the line does not show
clear alcohol, you might think about replacing it, but usually that is not a
problem.  I've cleaned short lines with a bead blaster
.After the alcohol comes through clean, blow the lines out with the
compressor (make sure you are not blowing water through the compressor from
condensation, do you have a filter/trap on the compressor line?), let the
lines sit at least overnight, blow them out again.  Use the white cloth to
check what's coming out, if anything.  When you are satisfied that the lines
are clean and free of alcohol, connect the lines all up, fill with hydraulic
fluid, bleed the brakes till hard.  (I'm not familiar with the spit set up,
but if there any compensating valves in the lines you'll have to deal with
them too.)  Check all connections for leaks.

 Now for the important part.  Get some more alcohol, of your choice, get it
to the right temperature and drink to a job well done.

Bob Paul
59 TR3
55 TR2
36 Morgan F2 Three Wheeler