Re: validadtion

To: greenman62@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: validadtion
From: "Donald H. Locker" <dhl@chelseamsl.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 21:51:24 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
> From: "" <greenman62@hotmail.com>
> Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 09:35:15 PDT

[problem statement snipped]

Sorry I can't help with your warming-up problem, but as far as plug
wires are concerned, I would strongly suggest switching to resistor
wires.  Despite the advertising by copper wire manufacturers, the
copper doesn't give that much hotter spark and does produce a whole
lot more RFI emissions.  Evident to normal drivers as radio noise,
mostly.  The initial spark provides mosts (about 90%) of the spark
energy, and that almost all comes out of the distributed capacitance.
What the resistor wires do is damp the oscillations that occur between
the coil secondary inductance and the distributed secondary system
capacitance.  So they actually prevent some of that energy from
oscillating back into the coil!  The other thing that happens during
the oscillation is that the spark can actually be extinguished, and
then needs to be restruck from the energy that got put back into the
coil.  Not very efficient, all in all.

Donald.