Re: just curious

To: gprtech@frontiernet.net
Subject: Re: just curious
From: "Donald H. Locker" <dhl@chelseamsl.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 22:03:19 -0400
Cc: Chip19474@AOL.COM, jsimmons@intrepid.net, triumphs@autox.team.netRichardson on Wed, 12 Jul 2000 12:22:30 -0400)
Well, the primary side of the coil will reach (routinely) 250 to 300
volts, and can reach 450 volts.  Dry air at atmospheric pressure only
holds off 30 volts per mil, so a .010 gap can be broken down by a 300
volt pulse, under some circumstances.  The capacitor in the circuit
prevents the full voltage from building up until the points are open
enough to stand off the primary voltage.  True the additional close
time will allow the coil to charge more fully, and too much will cause
it to overheat, but you really need the gap to make sure the energy
stored goes to the plugs, not to the points.

The coil is an autotransformer; primary voltage will be secondary
divided by turns ratio, which is usually near 100 for a
points-operated coil.  So if it takes 25kV to break down the plug gap
(typical for a .030 gap in a 9:1 engine operating near its torque
peak) the primary voltage will be 250 volts.  I have seen 450 volts on
the primary with a plug disconnected, high-quality wires, and nowhere
for the coil energy to go -- it toasted the transistor switch in the
primary circuit.

Donald.