New J-type O/D for my TR6 - & questions

To: "'Triumphs'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: New J-type O/D for my TR6 - & questions
From: "econrad" <econrad@teal.csn.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 08:53:11 -0600charset="iso-8859-1"
List,
My good friend Mike Cline (list member and RMTC member) brought home my TR6
j-type o/d transmission from his recent trip to Canada.  I have to say that
I'm amazed with the state of the un-rebuilt box and gears - simply great!
I'll be checking tolerances of the internals very soon.

My questions are about testing the solenoid, and about the factory location
of the o/d relay for the j-type on a 1976 TR6.  As for the solenoid, I've
been told (correctly or not) that only the A-type o/d can be tested with the
'box on the workbench.  The theory was that testing the j-type on the
workbench would harm the o/d.  I don't have a way to spin the input shaft
while testing, but want to know if the solenoid is working.  Any thoughts?

The second question about the location for the o/d relay:  pretty self
explanatory.  As my TR6 is originally a non-o/d version, I'm wondering where
to mount it.

Thanks,

Eric Conrad
Denver, CO