Re: New J-type O/D for my TR6 - & questions

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: New J-type O/D for my TR6 - & questions
From: "Power British Performance Parts, Inc." <britcars@powerbritish.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 17:18:29 -0400
econrad wrote:

> Well, in my haste, I asked a dumb one.  So I'm one for two.
>
> I now realize that the j-type doesn't use a relay.  However, I still do need
> advice / help on testing the j-type on the workbench.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Eric Conrad
> Denver, CO
> econrad@teal.csn.net

Eric,

There is no problem driving the trans/OD from the tailshaft as long as you are
turning it in the right direction.  An extension and big socket in an electric
drill will work fine.  Drill must be reversible - driving counterclockwise as
viewed from the tail end.  Driving clockwise from this end will be working
against the one way clutch when the OD is engaged and could cause damage if your
drill had enough torque, but I doubt that it would - most likely it will just
stall the drill and whip it out of your hands or similar.  Anyway run
counterclockwise from the tail and you'll be fine.

Hook solenoid up to a battery and spin the tranny up to speed - make the
connection at the solenoid and listen for a change in speed/load on the drill -
the J may take a few seconds to kick in when driven at low speeds from an
electric drill.  Don't worry too much if that's the case - it'll respond much
quicker in the car at speed.  You can also check the top cover switches in the
same manner by selecting third or fourth gear and repeating the test.

Good luck!

Brian Schlorff
Power British
http://www.powerbritish.com/~britcars