RE: Converting TR3 to TR4 steering

To: "'Pat'" <pleask@mailhost.wlc.com>, TRlist <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Converting TR3 to TR4 steering
From: "Westerdale, Bob" <bwesterdale@edax.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 15:32:51 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
yes, it is possible to put R&P steering in a TR3-  but not a TR4 rack.   The
4 series cars had a wider track,  and when installed in a 3, the resulting
tie rod assemblies have to be so short that a lot of steering geometry
problems occur.  ( Lesson that learned the hard way!!)  I installed a rack
from a Mini Cooper ( purchased parts through British Restorations in Norfolk
VA) in mine, and can report that the car drives really well.  It is not a
job for the timid, but I am REALLY satisfied with the results.  Drove it to
work today,  maybe Overdrive is next,........Or the Toyo 5 sp...
Bob Westerdale
59 3A  TS36967E

A friend of mine also doing a TR3 project car heard somewhere that it is
possible to convert the TR3 to the TR4A rack and pinion steering.

Is this possible ?
How ?
Any documented reading on this ?
If so, where can I get it ?