RE: SU Carb Tuning

To: "'willgray@region.net'" <willgray@region.net>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: SU Carb Tuning
From: "Westerdale, Bob" <bwesterdale@edax.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 12:17:43 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Dave-
        As you tighten the mixture nuts, make sure the jet itself follows
the backside of the nut-
The springs which return the jets to their normal position after the choke
has been used sometimes become weak and do not pull the jets snugly up
against the backside of the mixture nuts, resulting in a rich mix.  As a
test,   pull the choke On and observe the way the jets move ( seen just
below the mix. nuts.) Push the choke off,  and with your finger, press the
jet upward, to see if there is any additional movement. If so, you may be
able to resolve this with stronger springs ( or just clip a few turns out of
the existing ones...) or if it moves but feels really gummy then there is
probably no other choice than to renew the jet seals. I think there are some
'better than new' materials for this,  which allow for an easy choke pull
and reliable return to the warmed-up position.  ( also make sure the sealing
surfaces on the jets are really clean and smooth, for best operation of the
chokes..)
        The needles and jets might be worn,  although this usually only
happens when the needles and jets are not centered and rubbing occurs.  This
usually makes the car run terribly, and you mentioned that the carb pistons
move freely already ( although, rubbed until clearance develops???) and is
just too rich.  My money is on sticky jets.
Good Luck
        Bob Westerdale
        59 3A  TS 36967E