Re: TR3a Ammeter readings high

Subject: Re: TR3a Ammeter readings high
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 10:03:34 -0700
Cc: triumphs <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Steve :

There is indeed a problem, most likely with the regulator, but possibly
with the wiring to the generator or the generator itself.  Unless your
'heavy duty' unit is a different generator altogether, putting out that
much current will destroy it in fairly short order.

One possible wiring error would be having the A and A1 terminals
reversed at the regulator.  With the ignition off, remove the wire from
the A1 terminal, and using a voltmeter, test light, or what-have-you,
check for voltage from the A1 terminal to ground, then from the
disconnected wire to ground.  You should find voltage on the terminal,
but not on the wire.

The horns draw current from the battery side of the ammeter, so having
the ammeter kick + when blowing the horns with the engine running is
normal.

Randall
59 TR3A