bearings & thrust washers

To: "triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: bearings & thrust washers
From: "John A. Simmons" <jsimmons@intrepid.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 09:04:17 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
On 7/9 Dave Massey wrote to Gary Nafziger;

>Your engine is getting tired though it will run for a quite a while longer.
 >These cars (I'm assuming you have a TR6 but it applies to the Vangard
>motors, too) are well adapted to in situ repairs.  Low oil pressure can be
>rectified by dropping the oil pan and replacing the crank bearings and oil
>pump.  I did this and my oil pressure went from about what you had to 70
>PSI from 1500 RPM up and 40 PSI at idle.  Don't forget the thrust washers.

>Oil can be consumed via two avenues (three if you count leaks but if you
>were leaking a quart every 400 miles you would have a pool under your car):
>rings and valve guides.  You can pull the head and have a machine shop
>install new valve guides.  Once you have the head and oil pan off you can
>pop out the pistons and put in new rings.

>After you do all this you have virtually a new motor.  If you do this every
>50 - 70 thousand miles you cn run the engine 200,000 or more between total
>rebuilds.

It sounds like Dave is saying that you can replace the thrust washers and
bearing by dropping the oil pan, without pulling the engine.  Is this
correct? How difficult, I'm a rookie?  I have 60,000 miles on the car and
while I have no oil leaks and have very good oil pressure, I am burning oil
at a rate of a quart every couple of hundred miles.  It sounds like Dave has
a list of what to do with the engine at this stage to keep it in good shape
and before I get started I would like to understand what I should be
considering.  Thanks

John, '71 TR6
Berkeley Springs, WV