Re: bearings & thrust washers

Subject: Re: bearings & thrust washers
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 09:12:02 -0700
Cc: triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>

"John A. Simmons" wrote:

> It sounds like Dave is saying that you can replace the thrust washers and
> bearing by dropping the oil pan, without pulling the engine.  Is this
> correct?

Yes, if the crank doesn't need to be turned, etc.

> How difficult, I'm a rookie?

Not difficult, but a mistake can ruin your engine.  IOW, if you have to
ask, perhaps you should get help.

> I have 60,000 miles on the car and
> while I have no oil leaks and have very good oil pressure, I am burning oil
> at a rate of a quart every couple of hundred miles.

Sounds like either rings or valve guides.

> It sounds like Dave has
> a list of what to do with the engine at this stage to keep it in good shape
> and before I get started I would like to understand what I should be
> considering.

The only way to be sure is to pull the head and pan, and inspect.  If
the crank journals and cylinder walls are in good shape, you can replace
the bearings, thrust washers, rings, and valve guides without pulling
the engine.  However, this means working on your back with oil dripping
in your face.  Cleanliness is essential, and can be tough to achieve,
especially if you pull the pistons to replace the rings.

Fortunately, if you can get a helper, and rent a hoist, pulling the
engine on a TR6 isn't too big a job.

Randall