bearings & thrust washers

To: "John A. Simmons" <jsimmons@intrepid.net>
Subject: bearings & thrust washers
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 11:52:05 -0400
Cc: "triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Message text written by "John A. Simmons"
>It sounds like Dave is saying that you can replace the thrust washers and
bearing by dropping the oil pan, without pulling the engine.  Is this
correct? How difficult, I'm a rookie?  I have 60,000 miles on the car and
while I have no oil leaks and have very good oil pressure, I am burning oil
at a rate of a quart every couple of hundred miles.  It sounds like Dave
has
a list of what to do with the engine at this stage to keep it in good shape
and before I get started I would like to understand what I should be
considering.  Thanks

John, '71 TR6
<

John,

Burning oil is either rings or valve guides.  If you do the rings you will
have to drop the pan.  If you do you may as well replace all the bearings
and the thrust washers and the oil pump while you are in there.  And since
you have the head off...

Dave