TR3 Radios

To: tmcartor@erols.com
Subject: TR3 Radios
From: Rosspemlee@aol.com
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 21:08:27 EDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Tim,
One of my first jobs in a Triumph dealership in the middle 50's was in the
"get ready" dept. It was there we cleaned off the cosmoline, bolted on the
bumpers and installed the dealer options, including radios. To my knowledge
there were no factory radios. We bought ours in bulk from a wholesaler in the
Wash. DC area. The trick was locating 12 volt, positive ground, small car
radios. Some of the later ones came with a reversible plug so you could
change from neg. to pos. and back. The bulk of them I installed were hung
with
"radio strap'' from the heater supports and had an internal speaker. Again in
some of the later kits, we received a bracket that mounted on the trans.
tunnel and a few of these had a separate speaker which we mounted in the
right kick panel in the existing hole.
Once or twice I remember we installed a customer supplied, Blaupunkt radio
which was considerably nicer than normal radios.
Now that you know more than you ever wanted to about TR radios I'll sign off.
Doug Ross
Rosebud Racecar