Re: Exhaust Manifold Gasket

To: KTnKT <ktnkt@cape.com>, TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Exhaust Manifold Gasket
From: Erik Quackenbush <erik@midwestfilter.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 16:44:04 -0500
Moss sells a 'high performance' manifold gasket for the TR-6 which feels
like some kind of fiberboard and is much thicker than a normal gasket. I
have custom headers on my TR-6 which are difficult to fit and I've had
excellent results from the Moss gaskets. The normal gaskets (grey composite
material) didn't work as well for me although they probably work fine for
most people.

I used a 'copper spray on' gasket sealant from Permatex/Loctite.

The Moss part number for the super manifold gasket is 695-050 (early block,
no recess) or 695-060 (late block, recessed).  I think they're about $15.

Your mileage may vary.

-Erik

Note: Some head gaskets are also better than others. Payen makes a modern
teflon coated gasket for the TR-6 which works quite well.  I used a Payen
gasket to correct an ugly water leak which showed up moments after
installing a brand new 'normal'  head gasket. I think Moss and TRF both
sell Payen head gaskets but I would double check before ordering. You don't
use sealant on a coated head gasket.

--
Erik Quackenbush, V.P. Operations, Midwest Filter Corporation
1-847-680-0566 fax: 1-847-680-0832 http://www.midwestfilter.com