starter motor issues

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: starter motor issues
From: "sujit roy" <sujitroy@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 21:00:53 GMT

My starter motor on my Stag is giving me trouble.  Once in a
while, when trying to start the car, all I get is the solenoid clicking,
(the solenoid is attached to the starter). It's got worse over time. I've
checked the earth. I've even ran an earth straight
from the battery to the start motor body via jumper cables.  I've jumped the
solenoid, by touching the connections, using a screw driver and the motor
spins every time. When applying the screw driver, it sparks quite a bit.
I've had the lights on when this happens, but they don't dim. I'm assuming
the contacts in the solenoid have arched quite a bit over time and hence are
making a bad contact.
Has anyone on the list had a similar experience?
Can I open the solenoid and clean the contacts in it or should I buy an
exchange unit?

Sujit