TR3 Battery size ?

To: "Pat" <pleask@mailhost.wlc.com>
Subject: TR3 Battery size ?
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 08:59:06 -0400
Cc: "TRlist" <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Message text written by "Pat"
>My TR4 A has a battery with 750 CA's (Cranking Amps).

I'm told that a car (TR3) can not fully chage such a "big" battery with a
generator setup.

If this is true.. what size battery should I get for my TR3 ?

CA's = ?
CCA's=?

Thanks,Pat

<

Pat,

Not true.  A 12 volt battery cahrges up at the same voltage no matter what
the current capacity.  It only takes longer if the battery is discharged.
But then the bigger battery won't discharge as much (on the basis of
percent of capacity) as a smaller battery and the recharge time after start
up will be the same regardless of the size of the battery.

If you already have the battery don't bother changing it.  You'll be fine.

Dave

P.S. CCA = Cold Cranking Amps.  This is a measure of the internal
resistance in the battery.  It is the amount of current the battery can
deliver at a given voltage drop (I don't know what that is but it could be
at a terminal voltage of 8 volts) at a given temperature (say -25 deg F).
Higher is better.

P.P.S. CCA is not a measure of capacity.  That is measured in Amp-Hours.
Few manufacturers list the A-H  rating of the battery in a prominent way.