Re: question about Video formats: no LBC content - apologies

To: GuyotLeonF@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: question about Video formats: no LBC content - apologies
From: "" <greenman62@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 13:17:18 PDT

>Nowadays here in the UK we can purchase video recorders and also TV's with
>built in video recorders which are capable of playing both formats, NTSC
>and
>PAL.
>
>Does anyone happen to know if the situation is the same in the USA ?
>i.e. can you good people also buy dual playback machines for use in your
>country with your TV sets?

AFAIK, these VCRs are available here, but they tend to be rather pricey and
rare... For people who want format changes there are services for that sort
of thing. Whenever we needed to convert a tape in either direction we either
hired someone to do the deed or rented the machine.

It's classic "American provincial thinking"... Like with the languages, we
expect the world to conform to us, rather than the other way around. Over on
your side of the BWS, where there are many countries with many languages
and, er, video formats you folks are more flexible... Eventually if digital
video format becomes universally accepted (something I personally think will
happen evenually... the "Global Market" thing, NTSC, Pal, SECAM and the
other formats will disappear...

I could be wrong... I have been before..............