RE: Lightening flywheel - TR3a

To: "a Wallace" <wallaces@superaje.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Lightening flywheel - TR3a
From: "John J. Black" <transmancat@bbnow.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 23:25:58 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"
HI Guys
ONLY a competent machine shop should undertake the operation of removing
mass from a flywheel. If you get it wrong not only will the engine balance
be wrong leading to a lumpy idle and harsh engine, but the thing can fly
apart and cause all sorts of problems in the process. The TR flywheels can
be taken down to around 7.5 pounds if you wish, but this is extreme and
should only be used in race applications. For a street car I would think
that 15 pounds would be a good weight to aim for. Given the mass of the
stock item to remove this amount should really be no big deal for any
performance shop. Ask around as to who the local drag race guys use, as they
have to know where the good shops are!
I hope this helps
Regards
John J Black