Re: Altitude & VTR2001

To: "J.H. Roulleaux" <Jean.Rouleaux@skynet.be>
Subject: Re: Altitude & VTR2001
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 04:37:12 -0600
Cc: Triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>

"J.H. Roulleaux" wrote:

> often fitted with baromatric controlled carburettors to adapt fuel flow
> to elevation. Electronic fuel injection systems are fitted with a
> capsule that provides the computer with pressure information.
> So beside the cars ,there should be no problem when going to VTR
> 2001 just don't forget your gum,

Sorry to have started this thread, in a way, but the relative
pressurization of aircraft has nothing to do with actually moving around
and working at higher altitudes. In an aircraft, as a passenger, one is
sitting, and expending very little energy, and consuming relatively
little oxygen, for only a few hours at a time.

I was referring to actually being out and working at the altitude of
Breckenridge. That was the original point, rather than to open a
secondary argument. The original message was meant only as an advisory
to people accustomed to living and working at sea level, or who might
have health constraints limiting their degree of exertion at an altitude
near 10,000 ft., which, after all, has an oxygen concentration of about
70% that of sea level.

I mentioned this because I moved, ten years ago, from sea-level Boston
to Albuquerque, NM, at 5200 ft., and noticed some effects from that
move, and having lived at about 4000 ft. altitude for a decade (and
visiting areas to 7600 ft. off and on), the effects of 10,000 ft.
altitude are not going to be quite as drastic for me as it will be for
others. I simply would like others to be prepared for what they may
experience in Breckenridge, and to become accustomed to that altitude
before they attempt strenuous activities. Aircraft pressurization has
nothing to do with what I originally mentioned or described.

Cheers.

--

Michael D. Porter
Roswell, NM