Re: tire history (no LBC) (was TR3 tires)

To: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: tire history (no LBC) (was TR3 tires)
From: "James A. Ruffner" <erl@virginia.edu>
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2000 16:14:16 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
I recollect that the Michlin radials did not fail, but because, as you so
correctly mention, everyone was used to biased, they had no notion of what to
expect from the radials of Michlin.  Also, I many times had people yell over to
me
that my tire(s) were low, or flat, because radials naturally looked low, by bias
tire standards.  The radials were laughingly refered to as "zip tires."  They
had
excellent traction, so that if you were used to biased, which begin to slip much
sooner, that when the radials finally DID let go, the whole car would go "zip!"
People, especially the kids, would over-drive the tires' and the car's
capabilities.

It is noteworthy that finding bias-plys is almost impossible today.

Cheers.