Re: TR6 engine reassembly - Crankshaft endfloat - help

To: econrad@teal.csn.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 engine reassembly - Crankshaft endfloat - help
From: LaJoMor@aol.com
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2000 16:08:54 EST
Eric.....
This info was from a previous thread on the list...from Robert Lang if memory
serves correctly. To the point...

LOCTITE COLORS AND NUMBERS...In descending order of "strength."

Red- Loctite 272 - "high temp plications (like flywheel to crank and clutch
to flywheel bolts). Warning, you might need heat to get things apart later
on! This is also "high strength." They mean it!"

Blue - Loctite 242 - "low temp applications. Medium strength."

Green - Loctite 290 - "wicking grade" - assemble parts, put on a "dab" and it
won't come apart...marvelous stuff."

Eric...probably the most important part of Robert's message...."Also, make
sure your parts are clean before you use this stuff. It'll work in the
presence of some contaminants, but it won't work as well. By way of example,
the inner axle flange to die on my TR. bolts used to come loose periodically
- even with the Loctite. Once I cleaned everything with brake Kleenex and
reassembled with 242 - no problems. Since the last "proper application", it's
been 15k miles and those babies are still nice and snug."

I would most definitely use the "red" on the connecting rod bolts and any
other part that is subject to very high rotating speeds and/or temperature.
You DO NOT want a connecting rod nut and bolt to come loose...

I spoke with Rober Klie last night about rebuilding my engine...very
informative and pleasant conversation...I am still mulling it over.

I got the BPNW rear conversion kit. They had it marked down in the VTR
newsletter so I took advantage. Nice pieces. As you stated..."bombproof". The
work progresses.
Larry