TR6 engine reassembly - Crankshaft endfloat - help

To: econrad@teal.csn.net;, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 engine reassembly - Crankshaft endfloat - help
From: a Wallace <wallaces@superaje.com>
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2000 08:16:44 -0500
Eric,
It was I who raised the question about loctite vs. (in my case) locking
tabs for conrod bolts. I got about an equal number of folks saying to go
each way, but a couple of things convinced me to buy a tube of red. First,
one (or maybe it was two) of the list responses was from a racer, who
always uses red with success. Second, I dropped by the local LBC shop; they
recommended red as well, and commented that they had never seen it fail,
but  that they HAD seen locking tabs fail - that one did it for me.
Despite the warnings, the folks who have used the red say that the warning
about requiring heat to disassemble is a bit of an exaggeration - a breaker
bar will do it. Lastly, all recommended clean threads. There is even a
loctite product for this, if you're a perfectionist. I have a brass-wire
wheel on an electric motor that I think will do nicely.
Regarding thrust washers - perhaps you can use a +0.005" on the front
combined with one of your old ones on the side facing the clutch, and
you'll end up closer to spec. If not, my feeling would be not to worry
about it. They give a range, and no doubt there's some buffer in there too,
and you're within the range.
With regard to conrod position, remember there's a bit of back-and-forth
room at the wrist pin end of things (at least I assume so; there usually is).
Regards,
Jim Wallace
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
From: "Eric Conrad" <econrad@teal.csn.net>
......the acceptable range for the end float should be 0.006" and 0.008".
......I constantly got a reading of 0.0075". Is this too close to the upper
tolerance limit that I should add one 5-thousanths oversized thrust washer
along with keeping one standard thrust washer in place? (I understand that
5-thousanths is the smallest oversized thrust washers.) If I should add the
oversized thrust washer, I'm figuring my end float would be approximately
0.0025". Is this too little movement?
.....is it possible to have the conrod journals either too far forward, or
too far rearward, and still be within the specifications of 0.006" and
0.008"? This will be my concern if I do have to add a 5-thousanths
oversized thrust washers.
.....It seems to me that I've read a thread on this list lately that stated
that lock washers should not be used, and that loc-tite is sufficient to
hold the bolts. Any thoughts before I get too far?
Thanks all,
Eric Conrad